Boulogne, 30 December 2019
2019 TF1 GROUP AUDIENCE RATINGS:
MULTI-CHANNEL, MULTI-SCREEN STRATEGY ENABLES THE TF1 GROUP TO CONFIRM ITS VERY HIGH-LEVEL LEADERSHIP AMONG KEY AUDIENCES
32.6% SHARE OF W<50PDM
29.4% OF 25-49 YEAR-OLDS
32.9% OF 15-24 YEAR-OLDS
30.2% OF 15-34 YEAR-OLDS
27.1% OF ABC1s
TF1 confirmed its market leadership and pulling power across all genres and among all audiences (19.5% share of individuals aged 4+ / 22% of W<50PDM), especially young people. TF1 programmes occupied all of the Top 100 among W<50PDM, 98 of the Top 100 among 25-49 year-olds, and 85 of the Top 100 among the public generally. In addition to its unavoidable position in news, TF1 distinguished itself by successful risk-taking, in particular on the Women’s Football World Cup, Le Bazar de la Charité, and Mask Singer.
TMC confirmed its market leadership in DTT (3.1% audience share), achieving best-ever full-year figures for target audiences: 4.4% of 25-49 year-olds, ABC1s and W<50PDM.
LCI saw the strongest growth in news audiences (+27%) reaching a record 1% audience share, confirming its ranking as no.2 news channel, now among ABC1s too.
TFX confirmed its position as no.3 DTT channel among 15-24 year-olds (3.7%) and W<50PDM (3.3%).
TF1 Séries Films had its best-ever year among W<50PDM (2.6%) and 25-49 year-olds (2.1%).
MYTF1, which was relaunched in June, now mixes content from non-linear channels with an AVOD offer, giving an enhanced viewing experience. MYTF1 had a record year with 1.78 billion videos viewed, a rise of 24% year-on-year. TF1 had 8 of the 10 strongest audiences in catch-up, including Le Bazar de la Charité (1.44m additional viewers), Koh Lanta (1.09m) and Manifest (1.46m).
These performances illustrate the Group’s ability to transform itself so as to better respond to the public’s evolving expectations and viewing habits.
DETAIL BY CHANNEL
TF1: BROAD LEADER IN TELEVISION, WITH UNMATCHED PULLING POWER AND SUCCESSFUL REVIVAL IN ALL GENRES
- The Women’s Football World Cup achieved the year’s highest audience figure of 10.7m viewers. More generally, TF1’s Top 100 performance validated its sports rights acquisition strategy, with high rankings also for matches featuring France’s men’s football team and the Rugby World Cup.
- An unavoidable news offer: up to 7.6m viewers for the evening news bulletin, up to 6.3m for the lunchtime bulletin, 7.4m for the Edouard Philippe interview in January, up to 5.7m for 20H Le Mag, up to 4.8m for Grands Reportages and 4.6m for Sept à Huit.
- A high-powered French drama offer, attracting women and younger viewers: up to 8.5m for Le Bazar de la charité (36% of W<50PDM, 38% of 15-24 year-olds), up to 7.4m for Balthazar (31% of W<50PDM), up to 6.6m for Les Bracelets rouges (35% of W<50PDM, 49% of 15-24 year-olds), up to 5.3m for Pour Sarah (37% of 15-24 year-olds), up to 7.2m for Le premier oublié and 5.8m for La part du soupçon. Record year for Demain nous appartient – no.1 daily soap by audience figures, with 3.8m viewers.
- Entertainment had a makeover and flagship programmes continued to perform: Les Enfoirés achieved the year’s highest light entertainment audience of 9.4m. Mask Singer (up to 7.3m viewers and shares of 42% among W<50PDM and 57% of 4-14 year-olds) joined the big hitters The Voice (6.1m) and Koh Lanta (6.5m). Also among the best audiences were Miss France (6.9m) and C Canteloup (6.4m). At lunchtime, Les 12 coups de midi had a record year with 36% audience share and 3.4m viewers.
- US series pulled in big female audiences. New series for 2019 Manifest (up to 6.8m viewers, 41% of W<50PDM) and SWAT (up to 5.9m) had the best audiences for US series, followed by Good Doctor (5.4m), L’arme fatale (5.1m) and newcomer New Amsterdam (5m). The genre is particularly attractive to women, achieving 60 of the Top 100 among W<50PDM, especially for Grey’s Anatomy.
- Good ratings for French cinema: TF1 is a leading partner in French cinema. Among the best movie audiences were films co-produced by TF1: Bienvenue chez les Chtis (6.7m), Raide Dingue (6.6m), Intouchables (6.5m) and Alibi.com (6.2m).
LCI: FASTEST-GROWING NEWS CHANNEL, AT AN ALL-TIME HIGH (1%), CONFIRMING ITS STATUS AS FRANCE’S NO.2 NEWS CHANNEL FOR THE GENERAL PUBLIC, AND NOW FOR ABC1s TOO
- For its high-profile evening political debate specials, LCI was France’s most-watched news channel: the best rating was the Prime Minister’s live debate Edouard Philippe face aux Français (849,000 viewers)
- Best year ever for La Matinale with up to 132,000 viewers and 4.1% audience share, and for 24h Pujadas (up to 326,000 viewers, +0.3 of a point of audience share year-on-year)
- Success too for Audrey & Co, Perriscope, Le Débat d’Arlette Chabot and the weekend show En toute franchise, all of which increased audiences versus 2018.
TMC: NO.1 DTT CHANNEL. ALL-TIME HIGH AMONG WOMEN, 25-49 YEAR-OLDS AND ABC1s AT 4.4%
- Enhanced sport offering pays off: biggest audience of the year on any French DTT channel for the France-Bolivia football friendly (3m viewers), and good ratings for matches in the Women’s Football World Cup (up to 1.9m), the Rugby World Cup (1.8m), and the Senegal-Algeria Africa Nations Cup final (1.6m)
- Quotidien the top talk show, and still growing audiences: up to 2m viewers, a record for the show
- Burger Quiz: up to 1.5m viewers
- Movies performing very well: Qu’est-ce qu’on a fait au bon Dieu ? attracted the best movie audience on any French DTT channel (2.9m viewers)
TFX: 3rd MOST-WATCHED CHANNEL AMONG 15-24 YEAR-OLDS (3.7%) AND W<50PDM (3.3%)
- The channel’s biggest audience was for the final of the Nations League (1.2m viewers)
- Movies were very popular, for example Assassin’s Creed and Jurassic Park III (1.1m viewers)
- The prime-time factual show Appels d’urgence was in the top 10 audience ratings with up to 1m viewers
- In access prime-time, daily scripted reality shows proved very attractive for 15-24 year-olds: 11% share for La Villa des cœurs brisés, and 12% for La Bataille des couples
TF1 SERIES FILMS: ALL-TIME HIGH WITH WOMEN VIEWERS (2.6%) AND 25-49 YEAR-OLDS (2.1%)
- The channel’s biggest audience was 1 million, for the movie L’Arme fatale III (Lethal Weapon III)
- Flagship French series first shown on TF1 were among the best performers, for example Section de Recherches (800,000 viewers).
Source: Médiamétrie - Médiamat TF1 group
 W<50PDM = Women under 50 purchasing decision-makers